Completed
Last Updated: 16 Sep 2021 17:22 by ADMIN
Holger
Created on: 02 May 2017 06:36
Category: TabStrip
Type: Feature Request
Scrolling TabStrip
Make the TabStrip component scrollable, like the counterpart (http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/tabstrip/scrollable-tabs) in Kendo UI for JQuery is.
21 comments
ADMIN
Carl
Posted on: 16 Sep 2021 17:22

Hey folks!

As a follow-up here I wanted to mention that Scrollable Tabs was a feature that we added with R3 2021! For the TabStrip package this was released with `v6.3.0` so please upgrade to this version (or later) to be able to take advantage of this feature.

You can refer to the Angular TabStrip Scrollable Tabs documentation article for more information.

Regards,
Carl
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

ADMIN
Dimiter Topalov
Posted on: 07 Jul 2021 07:35

Hello Luis Ángel,

The scrollable tabs feature is planned for our next official release, scheduled for mid-September. Other enhancements like closable tabs will hopefully also make it in this release, so stay tuned.

Regards,
Dimiter Topalov
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Luis Ángel
Posted on: 05 Jul 2021 18:44

I see that this feature has been update to planned (hurra!!), do we have any release date for it?

Thank you in advance!

ADMIN
Svet
Posted on: 11 Aug 2020 12:24

Hi,

So far we haven't added this feature to our future development plans. I will make sure to pass the provided feedback to the development team.

Regards,
Svetlin
Progress Telerik

Patrick
Posted on: 04 Aug 2020 20:20

Hi,

I'm asking for another update.

This feature (bug to me) is receiving many votes and therefore why not including it in your next release?

Especially since you have this feature in the jQuery version.

I would rather prefer having a usable tabstrip component instead of new features.

It's been 3 years since the original ask, please do.

Thank you.

Luis Ángel
Posted on: 21 Jul 2020 14:29
I would really appreciate this new feature! It's a pity that I can't use the tabstrip in my web application.
Patrick
Posted on: 21 Jul 2020 14:26

Hi,

Can we have an update on this? Lot of people is asking this feature.

-Patrick

ADMIN
Dimiter Topalov
Posted on: 30 Mar 2020 07:11

Hello Patrick,

The discussed issue is not a bug, but rather a feature request. As previously mentioned, providing such a functionality is not a part of our immediate plans, but we are tracking the customer demand, and will reevaluate the request periodically when planning the items for the next official release.

We will update this thread accordingly once this item is planned for a future release.

Thank you for the understanding.

Regards,
Dimiter Topalov
Progress Telerik

Progress is here for your business, like always. Read more about the measures we are taking to ensure business continuity and help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our thoughts here at Progress are with those affected by the outbreak.
Patrick
Posted on: 23 Mar 2020 16:59

Hi,

Can we know when this bug will be fixed? 

In the real world app it is very common to have many tabs. I wish this will be fix soon.

Thank you.

ADMIN
Dimiter Topalov
Posted on: 07 Aug 2019 10:15
Hello,

I would like to assure you that we are tracking all feature requests in our Feedback portal, and are periodically evaluating them based on both the customer demand, and the perceived business value of the given enhancement. This is why there is no some particular number of votes that a certain feature request needs to accumulate before we consider to add it to our roadmap. We are aware that the scrollable tabs feature is among the highest requested ones for the Layout package components, and will reevaluate when updating the roadmap after the next official release, scheduled for mid-September.

Typically, our roadmap and priorities depend largely on the business value and customer demand for specific components and features, but I can also present an offering that may be relevant and applicable to your needs - our Feature Acceleration program. 

It allows a customer to negotiate a certain component or functionality to be implemented on demand or sooner than our roadmap implies. Feature acceleration fits well in scenarios where a feature or enhancement is important for an application's success, but it is not planned to be available at the time of the application's completion.

Let me know if anyone is interested in pursuing this option or otherwise benefiting from the expertise of our Professional Services team at any time and I will put you in touch with them to discuss your exact specifications and possible timeframes.

Alternatively, you can use the Kendo UI for jQuery TabStrip in the Angular application as described in the following section of our documentation (until the desired feature is introduced in the Kendo UI for Angular Toolbar component too):

https://www.telerik.com/kendo-angular-ui/components/framework/kendo-jquery/

I hope this can prove to be an acceptable temporary workaround alternative to the previously linked scrollable tabs one.

Regards,
Dimiter Topalov
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Toine
Posted on: 31 Jul 2019 20:12

I agree with Nicholas. This feature was requested more then 2 years ago. Can we please get some feadback on this so at least we know if this is gonna be implemented anytime soon or we should consider looking for another component.

I love the Telerik Angular suite as I did with all the other suites I used in the past. I realize that Telerik is the only supplier that is building a suite purely Angular2+ form the ground up and I love this decission. Still I feel that this feature should have a higher priority as Angular2+ is mostly used in a mobile first enviroment. When you supply a tabstrip component in a suite that is very much used in a mobile/tabled setting then the scrolling feature should be mandatory.

Nicholas
Posted on: 31 Jul 2019 19:42

Any updates on when/if the scrollable functionality will be implemented in the tabstrip for Kendo UI for Angular? How much "interest" by the public is needed to get this feature?

My current project is using Kendo UI for Angular, and I was expecting this functionality out of the box - as this is the default behavior for the tabstrip in Kendo UI for jQuery: https://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/api/javascript/ui/tabstrip/configuration/scrollable

"scrollable Boolean|Object (default: true) If enabled, the TabStrip will display buttons that will scroll the tabs horizontally, when they cannot fit the TabStrip width. By default scrolling is enabled."

Without this scrolling feature the tabstrip control is useless in a mobile world. The "workaround" to display a horizontal scrollbar via css with setting the overflow is rather poor. I am rather surprised this was not a day one feature in this control set. 

Rob
Posted on: 15 Mar 2019 13:31
We're trying to use as many Kendo UI for Angular components as possible in our application.  Missing this feature, as well as the proposed workaround, currently prevents the use of the TabStrip.
ADMIN
Dimiter Topalov
Posted on: 18 Feb 2019 09:53
Hi,

Indeed, such an enhancement would be nice to have. We are tracking this thread and will consider this enhancement, based on the interest. Meanwhile you can overwrite the built-in styling to make the Tabs list scrollable, e.g.:

https://stackblitz.com/edit/angular-r2zuba-8aaekd?file=app/app.component.ts

Regards,
Dimiter Topalov
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
jaroslav
Posted on: 11 Feb 2019 22:04
This component could really use the Scrolling functionality for tabs, it makes the whole component barely usable for many use cases.
Toine
Posted on: 08 Dec 2018 17:01
We need this asap :)
Alessandro
Posted on: 03 Dec 2018 15:24

Hello,

this functionality looks like supported by the Kendo UI for jQuery,

https://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/api/javascript/ui/tabstrip/configuration/scrollable

the same support would be nice for Angular!

Thanks

aa
Posted on: 26 Sep 2018 02:35
I want this functionality too !!  It would be nice to have this
Christopher
Posted on: 07 Sep 2018 16:30
This would make Tabs usable on mobile devices.
Imported User
Posted on: 14 Mar 2018 11:27
http://embed.plnkr.co/2WnUV5l2cMqiGUr4Olyt/

Implementing something like this when there are too many tabs to show and you can't because of the width of the screen. A simple property to make the TabStrip scrollable horizontally would be a nice addition.

eg.
<kendo-tabstrip [scrollable]="true">
</kendo-tabstrip>
David
Posted on: 09 Nov 2017 13:55
Right now the TabStrip just doesn't show all the tabs if there is not enough space. Making it scrollable would also be a solution.