Declined
Last Updated: 20 Apr 2022 18:20 by Key
jean-philippe
Created on: 03 Aug 2017 13:02
Category: Kendo UI for Angular
Type: Feature Request
Undefined switch state (aka. 3 states)
Allow using current switch in a trivalent state (i.e. : true,false,undefined)
7 comments
Key
Posted on: 20 Apr 2022 18:20
Where this would be useful for myself is on our user multi-edit screen where there are many properties. A system admin may want to turn on or off several items for multiple users but leave others alone. With three states we could set the middle to "
default" don't do anything and the have On or Off depending with way you move the switch.
ADMIN
Dimiter Madjarov
Posted on: 07 Sep 2021 12:30

Hi everyone,

This enhancement was thoroughly discussed, researched and evaluated by the Dev and UX teams. As a result, we are not planning to implement the 3-state behaviour as a built in functionality for the Switch component. As a general guideline, оur recommendation would be to use the Switch only for 2-state On/Off scenarios and to consider using other components like a DropDownList or an indeterminate Checkbox for more complex ones.

We will update the corresponding Switch documentation sections with concrete recommendations. A great article on the topic can be found here: https://uxplanet.org/checkbox-vs-toggle-switch-7fc6e83f10b8

Regards,
Dimiter Madjarov
Progress Telerik

Love the Telerik and Kendo UI products and believe more people should try them? Invite a fellow developer to become a Progress customer and each of you can get a $50 Amazon gift voucher.

Jo
Posted on: 14 Aug 2020 04:12
A value for 'not set' is necessary for every non-mandatory boolean field, and every mandatory field where you don't want to supply a default value.  I'm surprised this still isn't available.  The switch looks so much better than radio buttons or drop down list.  
ADMIN
Dimiter Topalov
Posted on: 17 Jul 2019 11:53
Hi,

Thank you all for the feedback and outlining various use cases for such an enhancement. We will track the customer demand here, and consider updating our roadmap based on the interest. Meanwhile I can suggest using a DropDownList with three options similar to the built-in Grid Boolean Filter Cell component:

https://www.telerik.com/kendo-angular-ui/components/grid/filtering/

Regards,
Dimiter Topalov
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
vinayak
Posted on: 11 Jul 2019 10:15
I am looking for this for showing a UI where there is a list of items. An item can be enabled or disabled. To start with I want to show all items as enabled. Then all items could be disabled. And there is third state which shows few are enabled and few are disabled. Then user should be able to make all items enabled if it is already at all disabled or if few are enabled and few disabled. 
Peter
Posted on: 25 Feb 2019 11:09
I need this on a regular base for data entry screens, because for databases you have to handle null values.
Seyfor
Posted on: 24 Feb 2018 11:59
It would be really useful for grid (and other components too) filtering: Filter by true, false or do not filter.