Completed
Last Updated: 13 Dec 2023 09:28 by ADMIN
Imported User
Created on: 04 Jun 2015 11:59
Category: Gantt
Type: Feature Request
Add support for tasks without dates in Gantt chart
It would be nice if tasks could be added to gantt that are missing a start date, end date or both dates.

For our use case this feature is not only useful, but mandatory. We are visualising a project workflow that goes through several phases and steps. Within our application, the client fills in the dates for these tasks and milestones as the project progresses. Not all dates are filled-in at all times, however when a project manager creates a gantt chart, he wants to see all the tasks. A task without a date is an information in itself. 

Currently we have to create a fake date entry for tasks without dates.
11 comments
ADMIN
Martin
Posted on: 22 Mar 2023 11:25

Hello,

I have brought this feature request to the attention of my manager, we will see if we can schedule it for implementation. Please keep following the thread for an update.

Regards,
Martin
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Bridge24
Posted on: 15 Mar 2023 15:44

The use case is straightforward. You begin with 20 tasks in your project that lack dates, and you utilize the Gantt chart for planning and setting the dates in the right panel using your mouse. All Gantt charts globally have this feature, except for Kendo.

Stephen
Posted on: 24 Feb 2023 07:32

I would like this ability too. I am integrating this into a very customizable product that enables users to use their own custom fields for start/end which some might have empty values as it's out of my control what data they are using. And I don't want to enforce a strict rule if we can avoid it.

I have noticed if there is a start date and no end date then it will actually display the timeline with all the other valid tasks and not the ones with no end date which in my case is what I want. E.G.: look at "Task 3" here: https://dojo.telerik.com/ATuCOQIx/4

Therefore, for now, I will ensure these tasks use the minimum start date of the valid tasks or if a task has a start date but no end date then use that end date for the start (which adds it as a milestone) before falling back to use the min start date.  Not ideal as my concern is when I upgrade later on then it might have some unnecessary consequences but suits my current use case.

Ben
Posted on: 22 Feb 2023 13:13
Another user here with the requirement for tasks without dates!
ADMIN
Martin
Posted on: 13 May 2022 12:57

Hello,

The feature request has been escalated to a manager for further consideration. Please stay tuned for a change in the item's status.

Regards,
Martin
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Kasim
Posted on: 09 May 2022 03:46

Hi,

Is there any plan on when this feature will be available on the Gantt chart. This is mandatory for many use cases now. We are opting for alternative solutions since Telerik not able to offer this basic features in Gantt Chart.

David
Posted on: 06 May 2022 12:26

We also have a need for adding unscheduled tasks into the gantt where the users will then be able to set the dates in the context of the other related tasks

syncfusion and several other gantt controls support this already.

ADMIN
Ivan Danchev
Posted on: 25 Apr 2019 15:54
Hi Kasim,

Thank you for explaining the desired appearance of the tasks.

Regards,
Ivan Danchev
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Kasim
Posted on: 23 Apr 2019 08:14

Hi Ivan,

In-case both start and end dates are not available, then the task should only be displayed in the left section and nothing to be shown in the timeline.

In-case only start date is available then it has to be shown on the timeline as start milestone (forward triangle).

In-case only end date is available then it has to be shown as end milestone (backward triangle).

ADMIN
Ivan Danchev
Posted on: 23 Apr 2019 08:03
Hello,

Thank you for submitting this feature request. Could you elaborate more on how you envision the way such tasks with no date would be displayed in the Gantt? I assume you would want such tasks to be displayed only in the treelist section on the left hand side and not to be visible in the timeline section, in which the tasks are displayed based on their start and end dates.

Regards,
Ivan Danchev
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Kasim
Posted on: 16 Apr 2019 09:01
We have a similar issue.