Declined
Last Updated: 17 Jul 2014 15:17 by ADMIN
Juan
Created on: 07 Jul 2014 18:52
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Allow detection of 'coming back' on Views
Lets say I invoke a view like /view.html?id=123

On the "show" event of "view" I pull the data from the server based on "id", and some loading and layout stuff.

On this "view" I have a button that navigates to another view that is a "picklist", or "settings" or "help". Upon going to this second view and then going back, then the "show" event of "view" is fired again, pulling data from server and re-running all that was inside the show event again.

On some situations it is important to conserve the visual state of the view after coming back to it. For example, if user is filling a form.

The same problem is faced when you want to implement a wizard (step by step) form: pressing back will wipe out all data and reload, loosing previous screen state.

There must be a way to prevent this. I have tried the e.view._back flag of the show(e) event, but it is not always reliable. By having such flag, all the scenarios mentioned can be handled by code, by knowing when it's a fresh-show or a back-show.
1 comment
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 17 Jul 2014 15:17
The feature you describe is more or less an application pattern and is easily resolvable by storing the user progress in a variable. 

Detecting back navigation is not a reliable approach, and may break if the user “jumps” two or more pages back using the browser UI. 

Due to these reasons, I am closing this request.