Completed
Last Updated: 11 May 2016 13:37 by ADMIN
Stacey
Created on: 20 May 2014 10:32
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Enable "Binding" for Drag and Drop
The "Drag and Drop" system in Kendo is pretty good, but it has the distinct characteristic of being pretty much DOM only; It won't really "bind" to underlying data.

This would be an extremely useful feature - the "suggested fix" for this right now is to use the kendo ListView and do a search for GUID on the events firing, and while this isn't really "bad", it's pretty cumbersome and kind of obtuse most of the time.

I have spent extensive time looking at the source code for Drag and Drop, and it would not be very difficult to give it a newly exposed set of functions. 

The primary use for drag and drop is to move information from one place to another; I do not see a lot of situations where all of the information someone wants to move is just right there in the DOM. Every situation I see of Drag and Drop that people want to use involves moving DATA from one place to another, and the Drag and Drop on the DOM merely facilitates the actions in place of more cumbersome features like drop down lists.

I realize this isn't the easiest of tasks to do, but as it is right now, the Drag and Drop part of Kendo is more of an eyecatch than a feature I see used a lot. 
4 comments
ADMIN
Petyo
Posted on: 11 May 2016 13:37
The sortable widget sounds like what you describe - it also integrates nicely with data-bound widgets like the listview and the grid.

http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/controls/interactivity/sortable/overview
Aleksandar
Posted on: 23 May 2014 17:30
Hello Ciel,

Thank you for the feedback!

Currently the Sortable widget does not support source binding, it only provides ability for reordering the DOM elements via drag and drop and fires events that allows the developer to detect the change and update the underlying data manually.

Your suggestion for data/MVVM integration looks interesting and we will keep monitoring the customers' interest in it. If it turns out to be popular we will consider this feature for one of our future releases.
Stacey
Posted on: 20 May 2014 10:37
What I want is more like this : http://www.knockmeout.net/2012/02/revisiting-dragging-dropping-and.html

This is an example of exactly what I am saying we need, but it is for Knockout. It lets the user drag and drop REAL data using DOM elements, instead of just moving DOM items around from place to place.
Stacey
Posted on: 20 May 2014 10:35
To elaborate on this a bit more, you guys have _tried_ to accomodate this with your new "Sortable" widget, but I'm not entirely clear on whether it accomplishes the goal. None of the examples that I see demonstrate anything other than extending the Drag and Drop : http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/web/sortable/linkedlists.html

In your example, you do allow for dragging an item from one list to another, but the data dragged is literally just a DOM element. What if there is other information, like pricing, or quantity? I mean we need to be able to migrate REAL model data from one list to another in a seamless, easy fashion.

If the new Sortable Widget can do this, would it be possible to get an example put up on the demos that shows it moving more complex data?