Declined
Last Updated: 10 Nov 2017 21:47 by Keith Davidson
Imported User
Created on: 29 Apr 2014 12:40
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Migrate source code to TypeScript
I've been using the kendo.all.d.ts TypeScript definitions file from the beginning. While its quality has increased significantly overtime, it continues to have a lot of errors and omissions. I understand the Kendo UI TS definitions file is generated from the Kendo UI documentation. So the quality of the TS definitions file is only ever going to be as good as the documentation. And that's where the errors and omissions come from. Not everything is documented or documented correctly. I think the best Kendo UI TS definitions file can only be created when the Kendo UI source code itself is migrated to TS. Now that TS version 1.0 has RTM'ed it is time to do this. Spend an entire release doing this if you have to. Who knows how many bugs TS may expose and help to fix.
7 comments
Keith Davidson
Posted on: 10 Nov 2017 21:47
Is this suggestion still being reviewed on a regular basis?  Given the size of the kendo-ui code base, wouldn't Telerik themselves benefit from porting to typescript.  Actual declaration files generated from typescript source would also provide a better developer experience almost removing the need for documentation - might even be possible to generate the documentation from declarations.

Are the declaration files still being generated from documentation?  Any reason why the declaration file has a namespace and not modules?
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 09 Apr 2015 13:41
This is not in our plans for 2015, guys. @Jonathan, we'll reach out to you if we decide to go in this direction in 2016. 
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 30 Mar 2015 17:17
Thank you for the feedback, Remco.

We are constantly investing effort to improve the Kendo UI documentation and the TypeScript definitions which are generated from it. In case you discover omissions or errors in the current definitions, please report them via our forums or support system to be addressed promptly. You may also send us pull requests in our public Kendo UI docs repository (https://github.com/telerik/kendo-docs) if you want to contribute in this direction.

As for porting the entire Kendo UI code base to TypeScript - we discussed this internally and we cannot justify such a huge effort compared to the potential benefit it can bring. That's why we decided to dismiss the idea for now, but we'll monitor the TypeScript technology advancements and adoption, and might reconsider in the future.
Imported User
Posted on: 21 Mar 2015 09:47
Hi Jonathan, I don't work for Telerik, but thanks for reaching out to them. Hopefully they'll take you up on your offer.
Imported User
Posted on: 17 Mar 2015 16:15
This is Jonathan from the TypeScript team.  I found this suggestion while looking through some of the tweets/responses to ng-conf, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Just wanted to put the offer out there that Id be more than happy to chat about TypeScript over email/skype if you have any questions.
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 06 Mar 2015 14:00
We'll follow how the collaboration between Google and Microsoft for Angular 2 goes, and will align our deliverables with their plans. For now our stance from my previously reply remains active.
Imported User
Posted on: 06 Mar 2015 10:31
Reading that Angular 2 is ported to TypeScript instead of @Script makes me think this is a missed opportunity for Kendo UI. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/typescript/archive/2015/03/05/angular-2-0-built-on-typescript.aspx

I can't help but think fixing the documentation to improve the TypeScript definitions is the wrong way round.

I hope you may reconsider. I assume you spoke to the TypeScript team.