Completed
Last Updated: 03 Mar 2020 11:32 by ADMIN
Pete
Created on: 09 Aug 2013 15:42
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Alternative Drawer Action Code
I've been trying out your new Drawer feature (which is awesome to have), but I've had to go back to the one I already coded because of a couple of missing features, that I find to be part of the standard usability of the native drawers:
* There's some quirkiness when I click on the button to expand; sometimes it registers two clicks and immediately closes the menu.
* If I open the drawer, and I'm already on a section (e.g. Settings), if I click on Settings again, I want it to close the drawer. Right now, since it is not navigating to a new view nothing happens. In my code I like to register any click on the drawer as a closing action, though I recognize that this may not work for everyone.
* I use a listener so that whenever the view changes in the application the drawer is also closed. This handles the case where some button on the drawer may do some processing, and may or may not change the view, but if it does, I'm ready to use that view, and should now be taken directly to it. For example, a Facebook login button. If the app is already authorized, and the user logged in, clicking a "Connect" button in the drawer may run background code and just change the button text from "Connect" to "Logout". But, if the user is not logged in, then it closes the drawer and shows the login screen.
* I like to tie the Android menu button to the menu toggle function with onDeviceReady and the Cordova "menubutton" event.
* I also like to tie the Android back button to first check if the drawer is open. If so, it closes the drawer and does nothing more. If the drawer is closed instead, then it allows the action to carry on to the next handler.
* The last point is personal preference (and I wouldn't care if the other features above existed), but I prefer that the titlebar stays in place, and the drawer slides out underneath of it, only covering the .km-content and .km-footer areas, and not .km-view-title.
1 comment
ADMIN
Pavlina
Posted on: 03 Mar 2020 11:32

Hi Pete,

Please try the new Kendo Drawer component and see if it fits your needs:
https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/drawer/index

Regards,
Pavlina
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.