Unplanned
Last Updated: 06 Apr 2021 13:16 by ADMIN
Alex
Created on: 05 Apr 2013 11:05
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Show tooltips on chart x axis categories
I would like to be able to configure a tooltip to be shown if the user hovers over an x-axis category. I would also like it to be dynamic based on the category. 

My use case is each x axis category represents a flight, to keep the label succinct I use the flight number, however it would be good if the user could find out more information about the flight such as the date, departure, destination etc.

Currently I put this information in the tooltip for the data series, but when I show multiple data series this text looks out of place and also makes it harder to see the data relating to the data series point.
6 comments
Imported User
Posted on: 08 Jan 2018 16:01
Any progress on this? we really need tooltips on the labels especially after using the solution given by you here: 
https://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/controls/charts/how-to/appearance/shorten-chart-labels
for shortening the labels and now they are unreadable.
Supriya
Posted on: 24 Apr 2015 10:03
Categories displayed on chart are too long. I am truncating them so I need tooltip on hover of category name which will display full category name.
Andy
Posted on: 31 Jul 2014 20:11
This is a feature we would like very much. In our case we have multiple charts that are vertically stacked. The problem we encountered is that the charts do not line up because of the varied length of the category axis labels in each chart. We have decided to truncate the labels, adding ellipses if required, in order to have a fixed text lengths for all labels in all the charts. The problem with doing this is that the labels now require a tooltip to display the full description of the chart series.

ADMIN
Brandon
Posted on: 17 Feb 2014 16:52
Thanks for the comments, guys. We'll reopen for consideration
Adrian
Posted on: 14 Feb 2014 13:53
I'm with Alex on this issue, and would like this feedback request reopened. Alex, I'm using an anchor tag in my axis category label template. I'm pretty sure it's possible in the meantime to accomplish this behavior by attaching code to the mouseover event of the anchor tag (or other elements) and displaying a custom tooltip on the fly.
Alex
Posted on: 29 May 2013 10:31
That's not quite what I want as you then lose the individual tooltips on the data series points. On my chart I have up to 6 data series shown at once, having one tooltip with details about the category and all the data series points will make it rather large and also makes it harder to see which value in the tooltip belongs to which column/point.

I would rather keep individual tooltips for data series and introduce a seperate one for x axis categories. 

Also you can't even set the SharedTemplate using the MVC wrappers (I've raised this as a bug with Telerik).