Completed
Last Updated: 16 Jan 2020 18:53 by ADMIN
Imported User
Created on: 20 Mar 2013 18:19
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
fileexplorer
Add the AJAX FileExplorer to the MVC Controls Toolset with additonal built-in features I would like to see:
1. Support for UNC paths so that the root folder may be located in a network share as opposed to a folder under the application folder.
2. Support for sub-pathing so that it can be dynamically programmed to support direct display of target folder without having to navigate to the target folder
3. Built-in Delete function to complement the built-in Upload function
4. Optionally select display of a checkbox column to allow for multiple selection for items to be Deleted or Downloaded
5. Built-in Progress Bar for Upload and Download functions
6. Optionally select automatic filtering of hidden files and directories from the display
21 comments
ADMIN
Carl
Posted on: 16 Jan 2020 18:53

Hey folks!

As Ianko mentioned, with R1 2020 the FileManager component has arrived in Kendo UI! We're excited to be able to deliver this to the folks that have been awaiting its arrival.

As the component is released I'll go ahead and mark this item as completed. If there are additional features that you would like to see added to the component feel free to create a new feedback portal item with the specific requirements that you have so that we can track these items as they appear.

If you have been trying out the component and have questions or running in to issues feel free to utilize the support ticketing system to ensure that your situation gets resolved in a timely manner.

Regards,
Carl
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
ADMIN
Ianko
Posted on: 16 Jan 2020 07:53

Hi Bonnie,

I have opened a support ticket on your behalf so that we can continue the conversation in a proper support ticket. 

Regards,
Ianko
Progress Telerik

Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Bonnie Battin
Posted on: 15 Jan 2020 20:52

Hi lanko,

I am starting to play around with the File Manager component in my MVC/kendo jquery app, and trying to add some of the code from the kendo-ui-service code I downloaded from git.  I have copied over the FileManagerController, Model.FileBrowser, Model.FileManager into my MVC app, and have created a view file FileManager.cshm.  I renamed the namespace to match my app, and would like to test it out, however I'm stumped in how to refer to the transport urls to be specific to my app, not "/kendo-ui/service/FileManager/Read"... Do I simply put "/FileManager/Read"?

$("#filemanager").kendoFileManager({
                dataSource: {
                    schema: kendo.data.schemas.filemanager,
                    transport: {
                        read: {
                            url: "/kendo-ui/service/FileManager/Read",
                            method: "POST"
                        },
                        create: {
                            url: "/kendo-ui/service/FileManager/Create",
                        },
                        update: {
                            url: "/kendo-ui/service/FileManager/Update",
                        },
                        destroy: {
                            url: "/kendo-ui/service/FileManager/Destroy",
                        }
                    }
                },
ADMIN
Ianko
Posted on: 15 Jan 2020 12:47

Hello Bonnie,

I am glad to share with you that the FileManager is published. https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/filemanager/index

A FileManager control is much more complicated from a FileExample. However, it can operate as a FileExplorer as well. 

The snapshot you showed can be implemented just by setting up and implementing an interaction between the following components: 

1. Breadcrumb (https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/breadcrumb/index)

2. Pageable Grid (https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/grid/index) and

3. Upload (https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/upload/index)

Regards,
Ianko
Progress Telerik

Bonnie Battin
Posted on: 10 Jan 2020 16:21

Hi Lanko,

Thank you for the confirmation.  What is the difference between File Explorer widget and File Manager.  I was confused when you said "File Manager" would be released when the topic of this thread is "File Explorer".  The below screen shot is what we are trying to achieve, where you can click on a link in the breadcrumb to populate the grid. 

Jerome
Posted on: 10 Jan 2020 15:08

@Ianko,

Your thoughts, "...Although, this might be possible (with some custom code and template mechanism), wouldn't it be more suitable this meta to be fetched along with the file's meta?...", are a much butter implementation of the idea...

I hope to be an early adopter and be testing this in my code in February!!

Too excited!!, Jerome

ADMIN
Ianko
Posted on: 10 Jan 2020 05:48

Hi Bonnie,

Yes, the initial version of the FileManager will be released with the upcoming release.

Regards,
Ianko
Progress Telerik

Bonnie Battin
Posted on: 06 Jan 2020 19:53
Is this still scheduled to be release this month? Any idea when.  
ADMIN
Ianko
Posted on: 15 Nov 2019 06:43

Hi Jerome,

I see your point. This really sounds like a reasonable feature. Although, this might be possible (with some custom code and template mechanism), wouldn't it be more suitable this meta to be fetched along with the file's meta?

For example, if you have the FileManager bound to a backend service that serves the files, the same service to merge the meta you need with the file's meta on the server and then have the FileManager render all the meta data you need in a details view. That, in my opinion, will prevent some additional requests to the server. 

Regards,
Ianko
Progress Telerik

Jerome
Posted on: 14 Nov 2019 19:24

Thanks  @Ianko!

A good feature separation would be if your file manager control would allow customizable detail columns (beyond the normal filename, create/modified dates, file size, etc.) and allow a "Read" event that calls back to a user developed api to augment the metadata for the file. 

For Example, we have QA double check our drawing files (AutoCAD DWG) and we keep a record of this in a sql database.  If I could call back to that via an ajaxy rest api and add a column to show who verified a drawing and when - displaying the name and date in 2 additional columns for every file in a folder..... perfect.

Currently the Gleamtech control cant do that.

ADMIN
Ianko
Posted on: 12 Nov 2019 07:42

Hi Jerome,

We have a FileManager component on its way that is in our to-do list for the upcoming release. It will be also released for the MVC and Core suites as well. 

Regards,
Ianko
Progress Telerik

Jerome
Posted on: 07 Nov 2019 13:44

I would like to see this in Kendo (and by extension in the MVC and Core control sets)... I'm currently looking to use another product from Gleamtech (https://demos.gleamtech.com/fileultimate/AspNetMvcCS/ or https://demos.gleamtech.com/fileultimate/AspNetCoreCS/) that seems to work very nicely, but would like to have the same API's and CSS configuration options as the majority of the other controls I use in my applications...rather than this one outlier...

Jerome

Joel
Posted on: 06 Sep 2019 05:08
Request for a standalone image / file browser.
Bilal
Posted on: 18 Apr 2017 12:06
+1
Carl
Posted on: 27 Jun 2016 16:51
A standalone file-browser / file-manager / file-explorer (or whatever it's called) should be prioritized now regardless of number of votes; it really is a basic tool that should be part of any UI controls library
Bron Squire
Posted on: 12 Feb 2016 04:57
Moving to MVC from WebForms and I'm stuck as to how to have a standalone image / file browser as I could in WebForms using Telerik's library for that.  Please give us this same ability in MVC land!
Steve
Posted on: 25 Jan 2016 12:34
This is important to us as well, functionality is seriously lacking - we've also noticed folders can't be renamed. Items like this really need to be standalone to be effective, rather than workarounds within the confines of the Editor.
faris
Posted on: 23 Jul 2015 02:56
i hope one day, kendo will create new extension for File manager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TocYQl97c6U
Mark Sheldon
Posted on: 08 Jun 2015 17:51
This widget seems to have been "under consideration" for a very long time.
Charles
Posted on: 27 May 2015 20:21
Make this and I will buy it.
faris
Posted on: 27 Jun 2014 02:14
i need this function.