Completed
Last Updated: 03 Mar 2023 19:03 by jaymer
Release 2020.R3
G_P
Created on: 16 Oct 2012 16:43
Category: NumericTextBox
Type: Feature Request
Automatically select all when tabbing into the NumericTextBox
The NumericTextBox should behave like standard input fields and automatically select all the text when tabbing into the control. This should work for NumericTextBox controls whether using inside or outside of a Kendo grid.
29 comments
jaymer
Posted on: 03 Mar 2023 19:03
terrible that this still is not the default action when tabbing into the field.
ADMIN
Georgi Denchev
Posted on: 28 Nov 2022 08:19

Hello,

I've opened a separate Feature Request in your name as this is not related to the NumericTextBox:

https://feedback.telerik.com/kendo-jquery-ui/1588654-implement-selectonfocus-in-other-inputs 

You can follow the above public item for updates. The more votes it gets, the higher the chance it has of being implemented.

Best Regards,
Georgi Denchev
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

DoomerDGR8
Posted on: 21 Nov 2022 10:01
This behaviour (select-on-focus="true") needs to be applied to all inputboxes
Aleksandr
Posted on: 10 Apr 2019 19:54
Please reopen, it was not done & leads to the wrong user input 
ADMIN
Viktor Tachev
Posted on: 02 Jan 2019 09:08
Hi,

The NumericTextBox widget renders two input elements. Thus, when the numeric is focused the second input element with the value is shown. Because of this in order to select all content in the NumericTextBox it is recommended to use the approach from the Select All on Focus how-to article.

Regards,
Viktor Tachev
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Eric D. Burdo
Posted on: 26 Dec 2018 17:59

This page has a green "completed" flag... but I don't see any mention that this is indeed done.

Using the latest version of Telerik (as of 12/26/2018) and this still doesn't work.

Елена
Posted on: 08 Feb 2018 10:14
This behaviour really needs by default.
Allann
Posted on: 31 Mar 2017 09:41
This shouldn't be set to complete.  You are asking EVERY application developer to add this to EVERY application they write that needs a numeric textbox.  Why is it the default for nearly all other controls?  At least be consistent.
You force many Mb of files on us with the default Telerik ASP.NET Core application, it wouldn't be much to ask to add a few more bytes.
Remember it takes time for developers to find the behaviour, possibly even in QA, then find this answer, apply it, rebuild, and retest.
Jay
Posted on: 29 Mar 2017 17:54
I just want to voice my agreement that the solution provided is not adequate and developers should not be expected to implement hacks to provide expected default behavior.
Tim
Posted on: 08 Nov 2016 17:15
The link posted as a solution isn't very applicable when you're in an AngularJS app, especially when you've created several numeric textboxes in a table created with an ng-repeat
WildNitro
Posted on: 20 Oct 2016 12:23
This should be the default behaviour, as expected after using other input controls. With a hacky java based 'fix' I think this really lets the toolset down.
TTT
Posted on: 11 Oct 2016 19:43
I'm using MVC Grid InCell edit mode. This doesn't work for us. Please advise.
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 08 Mar 2016 11:44
Casado, please contact our support team at telerik.com to get assistance with your numeric textbox and Angular implementation.
Daniel
Posted on: 08 Mar 2016 08:56
The provided solution doesn't work for me in an angular application  :(
Daniel
Posted on: 08 Mar 2016 08:43
For me the given solution is only a (annoying) workaround for me.
Selecting text on focus should be the default out of the box, because that is the behavior that a user expected.
Imported User
Posted on: 16 Oct 2015 02:44
Are you kidding Kenshin? 
This is browser default behavior for inputs and you're saying we have to hack it in ourselves? 
That's not a solution mate, that's a bug.
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 30 Jan 2015 08:38
I think the solution from this documentation topic supports the behavior you are after, folks: http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/web/numerictextbox/how-to/select-all-on-focus
Daniel
Posted on: 08 Jan 2015 10:40
I would like to see this in next release...
Francisco
Posted on: 02 Jan 2015 17:25
Yes, I agree, It's very annoying not to have have it when you're navigating with tab key
Imported User
Posted on: 12 Dec 2014 05:05
My clients just complained to me about this. My afternoon.... finding work arounds.
Manfred
Posted on: 01 Oct 2014 17:06
Yes, I agree too
Imported User
Posted on: 11 Sep 2014 08:49
I do agree that this should be the default behaviour. My customer require that all text is selected when tabbing becasue a lot of data need to be modified in a rapid and smooth consistent way, and minimize humen to enter uncorrectly values. The user case is application for controlling electrical devices in heavy oil pipe industry with a lot of numeric settngs.
Daryl
Posted on: 24 Dec 2013 16:24
I agree this should be a default.  
Imported User
Posted on: 02 Dec 2013 03:41
I agree that this should be a default
Shea
Posted on: 13 Sep 2013 16:41
nuts that this isn't the default
Joshua
Posted on: 20 Dec 2012 21:15
this is how an in put box works and this is how the numerictextbox should work as well.
Evan
Posted on: 20 Dec 2012 17:14
Also, if you modify the source you'll need to add that.element[0].select(); at the end of the _focusin method a little below the _click method.
Evan
Posted on: 20 Dec 2012 16:57
I definitely agree with this.  I would also say that focus should happen after the Kendo events or there should be some kind of focus event we could bind to on the NumericTextBox control to run code after the kendo code.  The problem child is the setting of the caret position in the _click function which seems to be happening after all the focus code.  If you have the source you can search for caret(that.element[0], caretPosition); and comment it if you'd like.
Elliot
Posted on: 16 Nov 2012 17:17
If you add select all to the numeric text box the same thing should be added to all controls.  I think this would be good to add as a configuration option.