Completed
Last Updated: 19 May 2016 10:27 by ADMIN
Vesselin
Created on: 27 Sep 2012 21:45
Category: UI for ASP.NET MVC
Type: Feature Request
Allow use of shared DataSource for multiple controls using MVC wrappers
Currently it is not possible to define a DataSource using ASP.NET MVC wrappers and assign the same shared DataSource to a Grid and Chart control (common scenario for reports where you want to visualize the data in a small chart above the grid). The only solution currently is to make two separate calls to the server (and define the two identical data sources twice) which is fairly expensive in a reporting scenario where there's more data that needs to travel across the wire sometimes instead of simple CRUD/transactional scenarios...
14 comments
ADMIN
Rumen
Posted on: 19 May 2016 10:27
Released in R2 2016
Waleed
Posted on: 22 Feb 2016 16:27
Implementing this will be a great help for those want to avoid using Javascript
fernando ramirez
Posted on: 27 Jan 2016 20:15
Is this implementd?...I believe it's important...
Cameron
Posted on: 30 Dec 2015 20:07
+1
mark
Posted on: 30 Oct 2015 09:53
Yes please. Very very useful. I am now having to refactor my code from mvc wrappers to other means. A surprise this is not there already
Grahame
Posted on: 24 Jun 2015 16:21
I would love to see this implemented as we have a few views that have more then 10 combo-box's with high (>3000) records in them. We are looking for a way to reduce the on page lag and the transport lag with out making a search for each control.
Alek
Posted on: 24 Apr 2015 12:03
plus 1..this is a must feature. calling another data sources is very expensive.
James
Posted on: 08 Feb 2015 11:29
This would be a great addition.
Brett
Posted on: 29 Dec 2014 04:39
+1
Pier-Luc
Posted on: 11 Dec 2014 15:02
DataSource helper would be very very easy to add. In fact, I've done it myself but it requires overriding every datasource builder types which means i'd have to update my code with every kendo release and compile my own version. I was not able to rely only on extensions.

Then you need a new DataSource builder for "Shared" (or JavaScript) DataSource where you can specify a callback JavaScript function (anonymous) that returns a DataSource.

Examples:
Html.Kendo().DataSource<TModel>().Name("someSharedData")<...>
Html.Kendo().Grid<TModel>().DataSource(ds=>ds.JavaScript().Data("function () { return someSharedData; }")<...>
Html.Kendo().Grid<TModel>().DataSource(ds=>ds.Shared().Name("someSharedData"))
Loren
Posted on: 17 Jul 2014 16:25
I dont think it would be too hard to allow us to create a standalone DataSource object, have it render out as priority in the DeferredScripts() and then on our widgets we could reference the name we gave the DS object
Alan Mosley
Posted on: 03 Jun 2014 04:24
Me too
Ramin
Posted on: 12 Apr 2014 16:22
it's also required if there are plenty of dropdowns in form with same data.
Ian
Posted on: 30 Aug 2013 20:42
Just having a Kendo().DataSource extension would be a great start