I suggest you ...

Re-sizing API.

At this moment only ExtJS supports automatically layout resizing and stretching, awesome feature for business applications. There could be something like Layout Panel which will handle it's content resizing and stretching features.

671 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Roman OsipyanRoman Osipyan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SteveSteve shared a merged idea: Create a Masonry-like Layout Widget  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Layout manager  ·   · 

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My app is really slow with all the JS used for fitting / stretching content in the different panels
        I really need something native

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are building a JavaScript application this can be achieved with Twitter Bootstrap or Flex Box in HTML 5 easily.

• Paul SinnemaPaul Sinnema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would really benefit from this.I am sure that a lot of business application developers share the same problems with resizing.

• Elliot SlaterElliot Slater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the number of votes this has received I think it is pretty clear it should be promoted from "Under Review" to "Will be Implemented". Can we get some feedback on this?

• HRRHRR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really URGE you guys to look @ an layout system. It will increase the usability enormous.

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Vadim and Bob as well. A properly namespaced responsive css grid for multi-column fluid and fixed layouts would be a fantastic addition to KendoUI. The twitter bootstrap grid is nice, but it is poorly namespace. A JS layout framework is of less use to me.

• Dr. YSGDr. YSG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So can Telerik consider including a 12 column grid like the Twitter folks did for Bootstrap? I am also asking for an MDI style interface in a seperate post (ala Visual Studio with docking, float, and pinned sections).

• Bob ArcherBob Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with Vadim.... you really do want to use javascript to do sizing if you can at all avoid it. Take a look at twitter bootstrap. A very excellent responsive CSS framework.

• VadimVadim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well not so quick. I have been working with EXTJS for years and I agree that Sencha layouts are useful (in fact mandatory) when you build JS-based application employing EXTJS framework.

But this also a weakness of EXTJS. Nowadays there are so many CSS grid frameworks, that employ latest CSS3 features to do adaptive layouts. In fact you may design your Web-page to work and look great on a desktop, tablet and smart phone using media queries. One of those CSS grids is Foundation CSS for example. And this is where EXTJS is not applicable because there is no way you could integrate EXTJS layouts governed by the JS code with the adaptive Web design, which is based on natural ability of the modern browsers to render HTML.

And this is where the strength of Kendo UI could be. In fact knowing EXTJS well I have started learning Kendo UI just because I could not marry Foundation CSS and EXTJS. Besides EXTJS is very heavy. Only CSS file is about 250K

So I think Kendo UI has its own niche. What I would like to suggest is make your widgets resize seamlessly in the Web page that implements the adaptive design or at least provide a method for each widget to resize it easily (EXTJS has widget_instance.doLayout() for example)

• Vesselin ObreshkovVesselin Obreshkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I've wished Kendo had something like their Layout Panel. You can obviously accomplish some of those things by hand but I too have wished many times for this and other similar features that exist in Sencha's stack...

• James HancockJames Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See devexpress xtraLayout.

Please give me that functionality in the browser, complete with renaming, serializing customized layouts, etc. etc.

Let me clarify, I come from the SilverLight & Blend world. Silverlight has layout containers beyond what you have with PaneBars, Spliters, Accoridans, and Tabs. The most powerful one is the GridLayout. It has gridsplitters, align points, and different ways of scaling the content.

This might be a bit of work, but even the sencha layout controls discussed below would be a great addition.

In addition a IDE such as http://maqetta.org would really help (it is not blend, but it is greatly needed).

coming from the silverlight/blend world, I want to be able to place my controls in something like a Grid box and nest Grids. What I am looking for is an abstraction that maps to tables, divs, spans, etc, and an WYSWIG design surface that lets me place my controls withing that Grid flow layout control box. That would be the ideal, but I will settle for even a simple WYSWIG layout tool that I can also do simple styleing on the controls.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base