Completed
Last Updated: 20 Nov 2014 18:35 by ADMIN
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Created on: 20 Sep 2011 17:19
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Re-sizing API.
Good point - this will be discussed for the Kendo UI versions that are to come.
26 comments
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 22 Nov 2013 16:18
Slated for our Q3 2013 release (Nov)
Mark
Posted on: 01 Aug 2013 20:03
My app is really slow with all the JS used for fitting / stretching content in the different panels 
I really need something native
Dr.YSG
Posted on: 04 Jul 2013 15:13
Any thoughts about putting something like the w2ui Panel layout into Kendo?

http://w2ui.com/web/demos/#!layout/layout-4
http://w2ui.com/web/demo/layout
I know you have an article about Bootstrap Layout: with Kendo, but I find the panels, the load content options, etc., cleaner for a designer to think about. 
Jason
Posted on: 25 Mar 2013 01:26
If you are building a JavaScript application this can be achieved with Twitter Bootstrap or Flex Box in HTML 5 easily.
ICT
Posted on: 12 Feb 2013 04:31
We would really benefit from this.I am sure that a lot of business application developers share the same problems with resizing.
Elliot
Posted on: 16 Nov 2012 15:56
With the number of votes this has received I think it is pretty clear it should be promoted from "Under Review" to "Will be Implemented".  Can we get some feedback on this?
Daniel
Posted on: 26 Oct 2012 18:01
Any updates on this?
Rahul
Posted on: 08 Sep 2012 11:09
What is the current state of Layout Manager in Kendo UI?
Imported User
Posted on: 24 Aug 2012 15:33
This would be really helpful!
Imported User
Posted on: 23 Aug 2012 10:19
I would really URGE you guys to look @ an layout system. It will increase the usability enormous.
Imported User
Posted on: 17 Aug 2012 17:19
I agree with Vadim and Bob as well.  A properly namespaced responsive css grid for multi-column fluid and fixed layouts would be a fantastic addition to KendoUI.  The twitter bootstrap grid is nice, but it is poorly namespace.  A JS layout framework is of less use to me.
Dr.YSG
Posted on: 03 Aug 2012 17:11
So can Telerik consider including a 12 column grid like the Twitter folks did for Bootstrap? I am also asking for an MDI style interface in a seperate post (ala Visual Studio with docking, float, and pinned sections).

Bob
Posted on: 03 Aug 2012 16:05
I have to agree with Vadim.... you really do want to use javascript to do sizing if you can at all avoid it. Take a look at twitter bootstrap. A very excellent responsive CSS framework.
Vadim
Posted on: 30 Jul 2012 13:49
Well not so quick. I have been working with EXTJS for years and I agree that Sencha layouts are useful (in fact mandatory) when you build JS-based application employing EXTJS framework. 

But this also a weakness of EXTJS. Nowadays there are so many CSS grid frameworks, that employ latest CSS3 features to do adaptive layouts. In fact you may design your Web-page to work and look great on a desktop, tablet and smart phone using media queries. One of those CSS grids is Foundation CSS for example. And this is where EXTJS is not applicable because there is no way you could integrate EXTJS layouts governed by the JS code with the adaptive Web design, which is based on natural ability of the modern browsers to render HTML.

And this is where  the strength of Kendo UI could be. In fact knowing EXTJS well I have started learning Kendo UI  just because I could not marry Foundation CSS and EXTJS. Besides EXTJS is very heavy. Only CSS file is about 250K

So I think Kendo UI has its own niche. What I would like to suggest is make your widgets resize seamlessly in the Web page that implements the adaptive design or at least provide a method for each widget to resize it easily (EXTJS has widget_instance.doLayout() for example)
Vesselin
Posted on: 24 Jul 2012 14:41
Yeah, I've wished Kendo had something like their Layout Panel. You can obviously accomplish some of those things by hand but I too have wished many times for this and other similar features that exist in Sencha's stack...
Imported User
Posted on: 27 Jun 2012 12:17
We need this especially in Kendo UI for MVC
Roman
Posted on: 25 Jun 2012 18:05
At this moment only ExtJS supports automatically layout resizing and stretching, awesome feature for business applications. There could be something like Layout Panel which will handle it's content resizing and stretching features.
Imported User
Posted on: 19 Jun 2012 23:40
Here's YUI2s - http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/layout/
James
Posted on: 20 Apr 2012 13:20
See devexpress xtraLayout.

Please give me that functionality in the browser, complete with renaming, serializing customized layouts, etc. etc.  
Dr.YSG
Posted on: 19 Apr 2012 16:02
Let me clarify, I come from the SilverLight & Blend world. Silverlight has layout containers beyond what you have with PaneBars, Spliters, Accoridans, and Tabs. The most powerful one is the GridLayout. It has gridsplitters, align points, and different ways of scaling the content. 

This might be a bit of work, but even the sencha layout controls discussed below would be a great addition.

In addition a IDE such as http://maqetta.org would really help (it is not blend, but it is greatly needed).

Dr.YSG
Posted on: 18 Apr 2012 21:10
coming from the silverlight/blend world, I want to be able to place my controls in something like a Grid box and nest Grids. What I am looking for is an abstraction that maps to tables, divs, spans, etc, and an WYSWIG design surface that lets me place my controls withing that Grid flow layout control box. That would be the ideal, but I will settle for even a simple WYSWIG layout tool that I can also do simple styleing on the controls.
Sergiu
Posted on: 17 Feb 2012 10:02
http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/examples/#sample-7 A layout manager is good for better positioning of the UI elements and takes care automatically of the re-sizing issues. I certainly need one. Thanks
Andy
Posted on: 15 Feb 2012 14:16
A layout manager should definitely appear as soon as possible. I had to choose between ExtJS and Kendo late last year, and the layout manager was a strong pro argument for ExtJS.

Campbell
Posted on: 30 Jan 2012 23:10
I strongly believe a layout manager or better layout controls are necessary. At a bare minimum, I would really like to see something similar to a Grid control in Silverlight which helps a developer take advantage of the entire screen without having to do all of the calculations. A DockPanel type layout control would be nice. A WrapPanel would be impressive. Either way, manually calculating layouts is a turn-off for this framework at this time. Thank you for your consideration.
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 24 Oct 2011 09:54
Thanks for clarifying, now we think we understand what you mean. Will take that into account for the next Kendo UI versions.
Tolga Erdogus
Posted on: 21 Oct 2011 17:18
I think I know what he/she means.  div/css based element positioning is the most horrible experience ever and toolkits like extjs include abstractions for laying out ui elements in a manner a lot closer to traditional desktop UI layout.  Kendo UI should also include this sort of abstraction that allows the use of layout containers and fluid layout rather than having to float left/right and clear...