Completed
Last Updated: 23 Nov 2016 15:32 by Telerik Admin
Schlurk
Created on: 03 Oct 2012 15:52
Category: Kendo UI for jQuery
Type: Feature Request
Add multi-row editing to the Grid
Within the Grid you can currently either have single-row editing, or batch editing. However, batch editing does not necessarily show the end-user that the Grid is actually editable. In order to make the Grid more intuitive it would be great to have all cells display their edit template constantly to ensure that the client knows they can edit the component.

Additionally, sometimes a user will want to edit more than one row at a time, but not have the entire Grid in edit-mode. Being able to open several items to be edited at once would help with this user interaction.

This is why having multi-row edit, the ability to have multiple rows in edit-mode at once, would be a nice feature to have in a Grid. It would also theoretically open up the ability to have all rows in edit-mode at once.
5 comments
Imported User
Posted on: 23 Nov 2016 15:32
The SpreadSheet doesn't support what the request was, this is not completed
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 18 Feb 2016 11:04
Using UI widgets such as comboboxes as editors in the Spreadsheet will be supported in a future version of the component, Russ. Stay tuned for updates in the second half of 2016.
Russ
Posted on: 17 Feb 2016 18:42
We currently have need for a grid where multiple rows can be edited at once, however I don't believe the Spreadsheet component is a proper Grid replacement, since in our Grid right now we're able to use all the other UI widgets such as Dropdown lists, Checkboxes, etc.  This is very helpful for directing user input when only certain permitted choices are allowed.  I've not seen that it's possible to use UI widgets in the Grid cells.  Am I correct or have I just missed a good example?
ADMIN
Telerik Admin
Posted on: 05 Oct 2015 12:33
Hi folks,

I am happy to inform you that we initiated the development of a separate component (spreadsheet) which aims to provide spreadsheet-like functionality for web projects, including multi-row editing.

Please review this blog post for more info (http://www.telerik.com/blogs/telerik-spreadsheet-solution-for-web-coming-later-this-year!), and if you would like to become an early adopter of the Kendo UI spreadsheet, shoot us an email at SpreadsheetFeedback@telerik.com.

Update: The Spreadsheet Beta Preview is available in our Q3'15 release. Read this blog for more info: http://www.telerik.com/blogs/telerik-kendo-ui-q3-2015-available-now
Taylor
Posted on: 07 May 2015 13:02
We do this with some custom code, but the solution is not very scalable.  With every cell editable all the time, the browser has a lot of work to do to initialize all of the widgets in the grid (assuming things like dropdowns and numeric editors and multiselects are being used).  We are actually looking for a better way to support the edit-everything concept without having the severe upfront performance penalty.