I suggest you ...

Add a visible property to the column items for the grid control.

Add a visible property to the column items for the grid control. Then provide the value in the view-model. This would allow us to declare the columns in html and manage their visibility in the business logic.

138 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John F KiddJohn F Kidd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamie StroudJamie Stroud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The hideColumn() method only hides the data column; does not hide the corresponding column header, which seems counter-intiutive to me.

• Alex BurrAlex Burr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they added this in the latest release, with the columnMenu flag and the hideColumn()/showColumn() methods.

• Soumik DattaSoumik Datta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please I need Kendo Grid Column visibility property as soon as possible. It will solve a lot of headache..

• Dr. YSGDr. YSG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added a kendoWindow popup that shows all the available fields in a datasource that is bound to the Grid. Now I want the user be able to turn on or off particular columns. The kendoWindow is filled with checkboxes filled in from the datasource (and a SELECT ALL checkbox on top that is tri-state for selecting all, some or none of the other boxes.

I offer my code to you as an example of what I would like

• John F KiddJohn F Kidd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I primarily need to hide columns that show information that certain user roles do not have access to. The ability four the view-model to advise on column showing/hiding would be what I am after. Also a UI method of hiding columns - the 'sister' Telerik grid can do this already.

• John F KiddJohn F Kidd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, if the user is, say a super user, then we can show a full set if columns, else hide individual columns at runtime

• Cosmin DutaCosmin Duta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take flexigrid for example, every column has a small down arrow frow where you can choose which columns you want displayed or hidden. I think a button showing a drop-down with available columns on the right side of the header will do just fine.

I am working to implement this functionality myself for now, because the client is strongly insisting in showing / hiding columns on the grid, so no other choice for now.

Feedback and Knowledge Base