Kendo UI Feedback

Kendo UI by Progess is a modern HTML5, jQuery-based framework that provides everything you need to build web and mobile sites/apps with HTML and JavaScript. It includes optional server-side wrappers for ASP.NET MVC, JSP and PHP frameworks.

Download a free Kendo UI Trial
Try Kendo UI Online Demos

Help make Kendo UI better by sharing and voting on ideas here! Deal? Cool. Thanks.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hierarchical Datasource filters

Possibility to add filters to hierarchical datasource, that execute recursively.
    Use case: In TreeView we need to search for some element text, we need to see elements that contain some text and their parents expanded. Filtering could be usefull here.

196 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Data Source  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add full support for oData v4

"WebAPI now uses the DateTimeOffset time as a main type when it comes to dates. However DateTimeOffet requires the Model(that the dataSource creates) to keep information for both Date and Offset which is not possible with the current architecture of the DataSource and Model of Kendo." Based on http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/aspnet-mvc/helpers/grid/how-to/oData-v4-web-api-controller
      Please add full support, also when working with Dates. Thanks.

89 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Data Source  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support composite keys in the DataSource ID property

At the moment, the DataSource only uses one field for its ID property (if you enter several, then only one is used, apparently). This doesn't reflect reality, in that in many cases (where one record is a child of another), the key field for a database table is a composite (from 2 or more fields).
        The existing situation causes problems in inline editing of the KendoUI grid, because default values need to be set for foreign key fields, but if these are set to a valid value, then spurious calls to the Inline_Create method occur because the DataSource treats the…

52 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Data Source  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make DataSource immediately drop previous data fetch request when another one comes in

We need an option to make the datasource immediately drop the current in-flight data fetch request if another one comes in.

Currently, if the user clicks around several times in a row changing grid datasource parameters too quickly, several requests get fired off, but the grid waits for the very first request to complete before issuing the next one. This makes the user's wait time twice as long and also makes the grid content appear to switch back and forth as requests complete one after another. Very unpleasant effect.

43 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Support syncing of HierarchicalDataSource in TreeView and Grid

Add full support for syncing of changes made to the HierarchicalDataSource in a TreeView and Grid. Currently, sync() does not perform the correct sequence of CRUD operations that represent the changes made to the data source or control.

38 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Data Source  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • hierarchical with different data types

With the current hierchical datasource, a simple file system type use case can not be supported... or an email service with nested folders. e.g. a folder might have subfolders OR files... or and email folder might have emails OR subfolders. Its is rare that you would ever know how many nestings there are ahead of time.

If the Node object provided some form of a type field/string/object/function to describe the corresponding model that would be very valuable. the library could instantiate the appropriate type at run time. This would also be useful for templating where a simple switch statement could…

34 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • add a more complete implementation of signalr.

Signalr is a push technology, but your current implementation is not robust enough to allow data from an outside source to be pushed to your grid. A stop measure for this would be to include the ability to use a function in addition to a string for the server read function. This would enable a developer to chain a server call to refresh data when data changes are coming from a source outside your grids. A full implementation of signalr would be to code your grid to accept a signalr call from the server hub that directly updates client data…

28 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Data Source  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • DataSource Model separately DataSourcable

The DataSource Model including validation should come from the server and not defined within javascript where possible. There should be two primary ways to populate the model using the DataSource widget.

1.) Retrieved from the DataSource call itself as a JSON property off of the data call. You should be able to define a schema: { parseModel: function(data) { return data.model } } to retrieve the model directly from the data call.

2.) You should be able to specify the schema: { model: new DataSource({ ... }) }. The model itself should be DataSourcable so you can retrieve (with ETag/Last-Modified…

23 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Shared Data Source with individual filters per component

Add functionality that will allow adding shared datasource to multiple components with individual filters.

This way we will be able to have one data source and multiple grids showing different part od data.

23 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Datasource filter "contains" on schema "number" with ignorecase item errors

Create a datasource with a schema that has number fields.

Try to filter by one of these fields using a "contains" and an ignorecase and kendoui creates an expression like

(function(d, __f, __o) {
                      return ((d.MyNumber || '').toLowerCase().indexOf('12') >= 0)
                      })

this errors because the number does not have a toLowerCase() method.

Our code is generic and we do not want to have to change ignorecase depending on the data-type, as sometime the filter will be on a string and sometimes on a number. Can a fix be put in place to allow this combination to run without error.

Thanks.

23 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Support custom sorting for DataSource groups.

This feature was already requested in another post, but it was missunderstood. (http://kendoui-feedback.telerik.com/forums/127393-kendo-ui-feedback/suggestions/11578722-support-sorting-datasource-groups)

The idea is to allow for Groups in DataSources to be sorted in ways other than alphabetically; this will allow for certain groups to be given priority.

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Support Guid type

Currently there is now implementation to support Guid data types. There is a workaround to use parameter mapping but this is not working when using custom methods for read\update... methods. I am heavily using web.ai driven odata endpoints and therefore I need custom transport methods and I am not able to filter Guids because auf these limitations.

16 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Create node.js middleware for mongoose

Please consider creating a node.js middleware for mongoose so we can easily implement server side paging, filtering, etc for data source requests using node.js and mongoose (mongodb). Although mongodb itself is schema-less, mongoose does use schemas and is the most popular choice for working with mongodb and node.js. Currently, there is no other solution (that I am aware of) that offers similar functionality.

The only thing that currently comes close to providing such functionality is JayData which includes support for mongodb only in their pro edition and forces you to use it in place of mongoose and one would need…

11 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Custom aggregate functions for data source/ chart series.

When using aggregates, it should be possible to define your own aggregate function, or even set it globally for kendo, so it could be used in other places. i.e.

currently you can only specify the function name like 'sum', 'avg', etc. with this idea you could give the whole function like function(arguments...) {}

Also from what I saw it would be nice to have the `functions` object from kendo.data.js accessible, so you could add your custom functions, like:
                              `kendo.data.aggregate_functions['median'] = function(arguments...) {}`

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Enable filtering on the PivotDataSource

As requested in this thread:
                                http://www.telerik.com/forums/filtering-support-for-pivotgrid-pivotdatasource

I think it would be extremely helpful to offer the same level of filtering on the PivotDataSource for a consistent development experience (especially since PivotDataSource 'inherits' from DataSource:
                                http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/api/javascript/data/pivotdatasource).

Thanks!

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • add pushInsert method to DataSource API

The DataSource API currently includes the methods pushCreate, pushDestroy, and pushUpdate. These methods roughly correspond to add, remove, and set. Unfortunately there is no pushInsert to enable adding new items to the data source at a specific position. Adding such a method would be consistent with the existing add/remove/insert methods.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • DataSource should not fire "change" event on a 304 response

The success() function in the DataSource should check the response status. If the status is 304 "Not Modified", that indicates that the data has not changed and so the DataSource should not modify its internal data structures nor fire the "change" event.

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • datasourceresult with ef with foreign key filtering

Datasource result support querying the entities with ef directly column names present in the class.There should be a way to filter the entities with lazy loading them and firing the filters on them ..like if the entity candidate contains the list of interviews the ,then the canidate.interviews should be passed in the filter and value and operator should be passed

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Kendo PivotGrid: value (measure) sorting

In MDX you can sort the data you query for using the order function, specifying a set, a value to sort by (most commonly a measure) and the direction and whether to break hierarchy or not. I appreciate that hierarchy-breaking sorting might be quite difficult to pull off nicely, but I believe the MDX could be generated in such a way to support sorting, by specifying one of the members on an axis and the measure.

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • On DataSource, If ID is provided in add(), sync does not update _pristineData and Create/Update are not invoked.

Currently when the add() method is called on a DataSource, if the id, as defined in the Model, is included, then the sync method is called, the data is not persisted to the _pristineData object, and neither the Create nor Update transports are called. This has the effect of not persisting the data and so if the cancel button is pushed on an edit screen, the added object is mysteriously dropped.

Please see my post on the kendo forums for a more detailed explanation including demos of the issue. http://www.telerik.com/forums/if-id-is-provided-in-add()-sync-does-not-update-_pristinedata-and-create-update-are-not-invoked

I would suggest that anytime the add() method is used,…

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Data Source  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base